Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

"Never love anybody you treats you like your ordinary." - Oscar Wilde

I recently posted this pic on my Facebook timeline. It reminded me of a few things I need not forget. And things everyone should realize. 

My ex-boyfriend and I were walking in the mall one day. Technically we were broken up and he spent the entire day telling me why we were wrong for each other. The part that sticks out to me about that day is he said brown hair and blue-eyed girls in Texas were a dime dozen in Texas. I looked at him and said, "So you're saying you think I'm ordinary?" He said no, then said well yeah, I guess that's what I think. Talk about a blow to the ego.

I was thinking of him when I posted the quote. I certainly didn't love him, but I did care. And it hurt that someone I had spent five months with thought about me like that. Why was I even with someone who had so little regard for me? If you know the answer let me know. 

Fast forwarding, recently I came into contact with someone from my past. We were catching up, and he told me I was still a supermodel in his eyes. Completely cheesy, I know. I also know for a fact I am only average. Nothing spectacular here. Just a wallflower that occasionally grabs the attention of people. It is in me to totally dismiss the compliment. 

Instead it got me to thinking. The phrase beauty is in the eye of the beholder popped into my mind. Again recently someone told me I was beautiful. My first instinct is to dismiss it. But when they said I was beautiful (and a few other things), I looked into their eyes and realized to them I am beautiful. That is how they see me. Instead of blowing him off, I took a breath, and took it in. And when I did, I glowed with it.

To have someone see you as beautiful to the point that you can see truth of that belief in their eyes is empowering. It made me believe, if only for a little while, that I am beautiful.

So many times we look at couples, and ask ourselves what does he/she see in her/him. We may not see it, but it's there. So may people must be aesthetically stimulated by their mate (especially men). My ex pointed out my flaws and my attributes constantly. He was totally obsessed with appearances. I'm not. It's usually some feature that I'm attracted to, that draws me in, and if the rest of the package is there, great. If not, oh well. Assuming they are a beautiful person inside, the rest just melts away. I have gone out with some beautiful men and I have gone out with some who most might not find beautiful. But in my eyes, they were wonderful.

So, here I am basking in the glow of someones compliments. I don't give them out very easily. As I didn't say back to him he he handsome and sexy and all that, he may wonder what I think of him. I've always thought he was so cute. And yes - sexy. He is to me. However it's the fact that he makes me feel so special, and yes - extraordinary, that leaves me knowing that while beauty may be in the eye of beholder, when they behold you, it makes you feel beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment