Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Own Personal Hell

Having a mirror shoved into your face in public, showing you how stupid you are is not a fun experience. Having the same mirror shoved into your face a second time, makes for such unpleasantness. 

A friend of mine the other night told me I was one of the smartest people she knew. I appreciate that. I'm no dummy. In fact, I remember a conversation a long time ago where someone told me the reason I was single was because I was too intimidating; that my average looks (my words, not the other person's) combined with my intelligence was enough to scare every man I might be interested in off. I was then compared to someone I hated. I proceeded to dumb myself down in public, so maybe I wouldn't run people off. Dumbing myself down doesn't make me dumb. 

I sometimes wish I could be oblivious. I wish I didn't know when I was being stupid. I know I'm making a bad decision, but I do it anyway. Emotional intelligence is a buzz phrase in corporate culture right now, and I graduated top of my class. But I have a blind spot about me. However if you need relationship advice, come my way. I'm usually dead on when it comes to other people's relationships.

There is a song that has the following lyrics "You make me feel like I want to be a dumb blond in a centerfold, the girl next door." I really wish I could be dumb and oblivious. Then maybe things wouldn't bother me so much. Maybe I wouldn't feel like a complete fool right now. 

Feeling stupid is my own personal hell. And boy am I in it right now. 

2 comments:

  1. Don't be so damned hard on yourself! I have been very hesitant in telling you I thought you very elegant and even though I think you want to intimdate the male speices, they adore you.
    w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the last 24 hours have been bad. I need a crying jag so bad.
      I feel like such an idiot right now.

      Delete