Monday, April 29, 2013

Safety Dance

Tonight I was treated to a preview of LPAG's next show "Quit Trippin' - It's the 80's". I was seriously making fun of one of my friend's performance of "Safety Dance". Then I started thinking. As you know, when I think too much I get myself in trouble.

This little performance was so like the video, it was a little scary. Not helped by the fact the blond wig is just terrible. I told him I will never look at him the same again after seeing him sing that song. While that may be true, at the same time I am completely envious. Let me tell you why.

I love to perform. Absolutely. It is so much fun. However in all of my performances, I hesitate. I have fear I will look silly, or my voice will crack, or anything other little thing. It takes major cajones to lay it all on the line and go for it. I always hold back. 

It takes guts to go for it. And I don't have the guts most of the time. I envy people who can let go and have fun with it. Comedic timing is not an easy thing. to be able to do the "Safety Dance" song, you really have to have no fear of looking silly. To pull it off there has to be no holding back.

I am a work in process. I know this. Every time I do karaoke or perform in some way, my fear lessens. I'm pretty realistic when it comes to my strengths and weaknesses. I was talking to Percy tonight, and I said I have a unique voice. I can't sing everything. It's a matter of figuring out what I can sing. But when I find my sweet spot, I shine. I just need to work on that fear.

That all being said, I do admire people who can let go and be silly. I only do it when I'm in my comfort zone or with my comfort people. Now if you want to know just how silly a person can be - watch this video of the original "Safety Dance". Even if it a well executed performance all I can say is, "What a goof!!!"

http://youtu.be/nM4okRvCg2g

No comments:

Post a Comment