Monday, May 6, 2013

Song Nostalgia

We all have things in our pasts. Some are good, and if you've lived a little, some are pretty bad. Our pasts are what makes us who we are, for better or worse. 

The last few weeks, I have been reminiscing. Two weeks ago, I went back to my alma mater, good ole' SFA. I went to see and visit with my sorority sisters. Delta Zeta was a huge part of my life in college. And my best friend is my DZ Lil' Sis. A friendship that this year reached the 20 year mark. Those who I saw last weekend, I've known for longer than that. They were my sisters, my friends. The ones I talked to and hung out with in those years. The ones who would DD for me. I drank with them, I laughed, I danced, I cried and more. My lifetime friends, whether I see them or not. 

Going back to SFA started me thinking about the old days. I was more volatile then. I won't say I was wilder. I think I'm wilder now. I lived, laughed and loved in those days. I live and laugh nowadays, but not too much on the love front. I no longer have the total abandon I did then.

This past weekend, while a new experience, was spent with old friends. Nothing like being reminded of Monk Man while at breakfast. For those not in the know, it was an unfortunate film some friends of mine made when we were in high school. I starred as the damsel-in-detress. It was mildly embarrassing. And something that will surely come to haunt me as soon as someone finds the VHS tape of the film. 

I started thinking, as I was walking down memory lane. Isn't it funny how you can remember the tiniest details about some people who have passed through your life? A few months ago I wrote about someone who serenaded me. I mentioned it to him, and he didn't recall. All he said was he had nothing but the fondest memories of me. Yep. Me too.

On that note, comes other memories. There are certain songs that remind me of certain people. I literally can't hear them without thinking about those times. Some might be silly, like Two Princes. Always thing of Becky when I hear it. We were actually singing it together last week, because she heard it and thought of me. Others may be sad or bring back a rush of feeling. Every time I hear Whatcha Want by the Beastie Boys, I remember one of my DZ sisters. To protect her, I won't reveal who she is, or why it reminds me.

Going back to my serenade, I always wondered if he remembered. He didn't. So that brought me to thinking about it. Are the songs that are so significant to you, significant to the person they remind you of? Most of us will never know, but it doesn't really matter.

Hold on to those memories. If you are lucky enough to discover they rate a fond memory for the other person, cherish it. I was reminded today. It makes me a little sad, because I have a lot of regrets. Wishes that things could have been different. I would never take back that time though. It means the world. I will cherish the memory. 


No comments:

Post a Comment