Monday, March 19, 2012

Sentimental Fool

Pretty Texas Bluebonnets!!!
Today I posted a picture I took as my co-worker and I were driving back to 90 after picking up Chinese food for lunch. Since I wasn’t driving, I had the opportunity to really look around and I saw Bluebonnets everywhere.  I am literally overwhelmed.

During my stint in Arkansas 2004-2011, only once was I home during Bluebonnet season. I constantly missed them during my time at Walmart. One year, my nephew, Cole, picked some Bluebonnets and put them in Styrofoam cup and gave them to me for my birthday. I took them all the way back home with me and put them on my desk at work. I made sure everyone who wasn’t from Texas got a good look at the Texas state flower.

Last Tuesday, I took the exit to Military from 90 and I saw my first Bluebonnets. Tears literally started streaming down my cheeks. I had to stop myself from really bawling as I was on my way to rehearsal. The truth is I was so overcome with emotion. It was like a homecoming. Seeing the Bluebonnets it was like I was finally home again.

It may surprise people to know I’m a tad bit sentimental. There are sometimes when I cry at the silliest things. There is one romantic comedy that has literally had me curled up into a ball crying because the happiness of the ending. I’m too embarrassed to admit which one it is. In fact, it used to be one of my favorite movies, but after my cry fest the last time I watched it, I have never been able to watch it again. It reminds me too much of the things I’m missing out on in my life.

On Wednesday, I will indulge in another sentimental activity. I’m going to see an old movie that is showing for one day only in theaters. This one doesn’t actually have a happy ending, but is still considered one of the most romantic movies ever made. I am going to see Casablanca. Not only is it sentimental, it is also one of the most quoted (and misquoted) movies ever made. I haven’t seen it in years, and never in the theater.  It was fate that I chose to get up out of my sickbed on Sunday afternoon and go to the movies with my bff. If I hadn’t gone, I wouldn’t have seen the ad for the movie. And even better, it is showing only at the theater closest to my house. I can’t wait.

The only sad thing is I will end up going by myself. I would love company, but that is not going to happen. There aren’t too many people as sentimental as me, and I really don’t let too many see me in that state. I may get teary eyed. I wish there was someone who was available to share this event with me. I would really like to share this wonderful movie.

That being said, I will go to the movie by myself and pig out on popcorn, bring lots of tissues and cry when she boards that plane. Who cares? If I look a little strange by myself then frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.

2 comments:

  1. Casablanca is in my top five best movies ever made. I'll never forget...
    "If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete