Thursday, March 24, 2011

Where to live???

It is hard enough to find a new home when you are familiar with an area. Think about how hard it is moving to a new town. I'm moving to the seventh largest city in the U.S. according to the 2010 Census. A population of approximately 1.3 million. I live in a Rogers, AR a city with about 55,000 people. Benton County has a population of about 220,000. I'm at a lost on how to find a new place, but I'm running out of time.

I'm lucky that I at least have friends in San Antonio who are helping me. The problem is, the only thing they all agree on is I shouldn't live near Lackland AFB or anywhere on the south side of town. I've had people tell me to live on the northeast side, northwest, Stone Oak, Alamo Heights, North Central, Northside school district, inside of 1604, outside of 1604. I've had people tell me to stay away from the north, south, east and west. It's all very confusing.

I spent today coming up with a list of things that are important to me. I'm going to put these on a chart and compare them. Only apartments I think I can afford will go on the list. Safety is my first priority. Number one, numero uno (I need to brush up on my conversational Spanish - Como esta usted?). I also would really like a washer/dryer in unit. That is normal in AR, not as common in SA. I want it to be nice - I refuse to downgrade at this point. I've upgrade everything in my life, why not my living space? I figure I should be paying more in SA than I pay here. According to some random website my boss showed me to try to talk me out of taking my new job, cost of of living is about 23% higher than here. I say I will save so much on taxes, I can afford to pay more. I want it gated, with good parking, in a good neighborhood, not too far from work (the average seems to be 20 to 25 minutes), and with some amenities.

I have a list now by size, price, commute time, miles from work, and w/d. I will compare them and narrow done. I'll call and ask questions, run my lists by a few friends, and I will be armed and ready to go looking on April 15th. I can't wait to get down there, but really -- I have to find a place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment