Saturday, August 27, 2011

A New Mantra

Today at run club they pointed out that we were 13 weeks into our training. Wow, I can not believe I have been running for 13 weeks. Not counting the three weeks I sat out for my hip. I have actually run eight miles at one time. Today was a little over a seven mile run. I am killing myself doing this. However, I'm not doing all I have to do. I'm trying to do Zumba twice a week. If I remember to do it I'm lifting weights. And my friend has me trying to do this workout video from the seventies that is a ripoff of Pilates.

They also said in our lesson during our morning stretch that all runners should have a mantra. A saying that will keep you going when it gets hard. Today I decided my mantra was, " I will get through the Rock and Roll Marathon." I will just say it over and over. I will get through it. It is very sad that I have to say that to myself. I've decided running is not my calling in life. I'm slow and not very good at it. It hurts. It really hurts. Not during it, but after. I get so sore. My joints ache. It makes me feel old. I do feel like I'm accomplishing something though.

I had a great idea today. I'm going to see if my dad wants to do something with me when I'm home in November. If we aren't going to anything special for Thanksgiving, I think I might want to do the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day. It might me fun. It's like the week after the Rock and Roll, so I could do it. And if I can talk him into it, it might be something I can do with him. We will see. I even thought about doing the Dallas Rock and Roll if I can keep up in off-season.

So my new mantra is really set goals and achieve them. Small goals. Attainable goals. Thing I can actually do. Like be bold, get out of my comfort zone once a week. Talk to a few strangers to make myself get over my shyness. I'm only shy if I don't know people, and people who have known me forever, and don't know me well, don't realize I'm petrified talking to strangers sometimes. I also hate confrontations. I really hate asking for help. I hate being bored. I know - I, I, I.

I'm going to need to figure out a few more goals for myself. Things I can accomplish so I can feel better about setting more goals. I think this is the trick - small obtainable goals.  That is really my new mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment