Monday, August 29, 2011

Women are Crazy, Men are Stupid

A wise friend of mine who was nice enough to listen to my woes yesterday shared with me the following quote (thank you JW ;-)):


       "Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid."
       — George Carlin (When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?)

I have never heard that before, but wow. Even better, it came from a man. Basically I was talking about being confused and irritated over -- what else -- a man. I wish someone would solve the mystery. How do you know if someone is interested or just being nice? There are many flirts in the world. I have been on occasion accused of being one. Sometimes I just feel comfortable enough with someone just to let go, relax and let my guard down. I don't mean to flirt it just happens when I relax. Sometimes I think about it other times I don't. It is all about perception.

The problem is I don't think men and women have the same interpretations of the same events. I was getting my hair colored earlier this year by guy. A song was playing and he was happily signing along. I made the comment that the song was catchy, but really made no sense. He responded that he was a guy, he didn't listen to the words of songs. How true is that? 

Women listen to songs and its all fraught with meaning. When Christina sang about "Genie in the Bottle" years ago, girls all over the world were thinking - yes!!! That is so true. My favorite line in that stupid song is, "Hormones racing at the speed of light, but that don't mean it's got to be tonight."  Because, hello, it's important you don't just jump into things.

I again digress. My point is men and women perceive the same events in entirely different ways. The saying "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" is so true (and yes I know it comes a book, which once upon a time I actually read). When it comes to dating and crushes, you really are just taking a big leap of faith. No one really wants to go out on a limb and just say - hey, I'd like to go out with you.  Traditionally it has been a man's place to make the moves. I certainly don't want to go out on a limb. It's brutal. What if they aren't interest? What if they are just being nice? What if they just want to be friends?


The theme here is what if? My wise friend who I mentioned above also gave me some more advice yesterday. If you don't at least try, you will always be asking yourself what if. I really don't like asking myself that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment