Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Curtain Closes

We finished my latest show a few days ago. I'd like to say it was fantastic, but I have literally never had more trouble in my life with a show. I have never had trouble memorizing lines before. EVER. I mean, I was in a play a few years back where I had 350 lines more than the next person, and had five long monologues. I may have missed a few there because of nervousness, but I knew the lines.

For whatever the reason, I had trouble this entire play. I once went two weeks where all I did was rehearse other people's plays, not my two. Then there were the two weeks where one of my co-stars was sick and he couldn't rehearse. We worked on my other play during that time, but that was during the ill fated gender switch. We switched back roles, and then I had to learn it all over again. Since I learn by repetition, rehearsing once a week didn't help. And I can read my lines all I want, but not having someone to check me or read them with me hurt me big time.

All excuses I know, but the bottom line is, this was not a good play for me. I think I need a lot more interaction on stage to be more successful. More people to interact with. I really don't know what it was, but I pretty much sucked.

I am so glad it is over. I am disappointed in myself. And even worse, on the second to last show I'd had too much to drink and could barely get my lines out. I remembered them ok, but I couldn't say them. My car stayed on-base Friday night, as I had to be driven home. I'm still so embarrassed. It didn't help for people to be texting my keeper, to tell him to keep me away from the booze. Really, I was actually sitting with him when one of texts came in, and I saw it..."Whatever you do, keep Laura away from the liquor." If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

Whatever the reason, or cause, this will definitely be a show to remember, for a lot of reasons. I'm just glad it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment