Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A New Person...

Not too long ago I was taking a walk with a friend and we were chatting about various topics. Now I was wearing basically sweats and a t-shirt along with my new running shoes. Not looking too hot, but boy was I comfy.

At first I was talking about running. After the Rock and Roll, I was bitching about hating running, and never doing it again. Mainly because it hurt so much. After about a week I was missing it, so I changed my goal. Instead of trying to run 13.1 miles, how about two to three miles. I never ran the entire thing anyway, so my new goal is to speed up and cover shorter distances. And to maybe run for two miles straight. I was telling my friend this, and they told me that in a weird kind of way they were proud of me. I guess, I just don't want to lose the ground I've gained.

The subject somehow turned to shoes. First off, I was not with a female friend. So talking about shoes was not an everyday conversation. Over Thanksgiving I bought  a pair of shoes that are basically silver sequins and five inches high. They are pretty. They are "hot" to say the least. The women who have seen my shoes agree they are awesome. I've had two reactions from the two men who have seen them without me wearing them - one is hooker heels, and the other was just a jaw drop. They are really special shoes.

Totally Awesome Shoes!!!
So I was talking about my awesome new shoes, but not in the way you'd think. I was talking about what I was thinking buying shoes like that. Why do I keep buying heels? And four inch and above heels? I'm 5'8". I'm already tall. These shoes top me out at over six feet. I said to my friend, I don't understand why I keep buying these shoes. They are horrible for my back and feet, the cause of my knee issue (I fell while wearing heels and tore cartilage), and they hurt. I'm a casual girl, a tom boy. I like my sneakers and my sweats. Heels are not who I am. They aren't me.

My friend basically said to me, maybe they are who I'm trying to become, or I'm already becoming. A new person. A hybrid. Maybe I need to balance my exercise that brings out my tom boy side, with the ultra feminine heels. I still wear comfy clothes and slacks, but I'm more likely to grab the heels than the flats. I love the way it makes me feel, when I don't feel like a total giant.

Speaking of which, isn't it nice not to have to worry about someones ego? We were joking about trading someone in for a taller model. As a girl who has dated so many men my height, or shorter, I had to laugh about the guy who doesn't like his girlfriend to wear heels. I personally like a man who doesn't care if a girl is a little taller. It speaks volumes when they don't mind.

Getting back to the subject I was talking about earlier. This morning I grabbed my flat boots. The ones I have had since 2004. The ones I have changed the soles out on twice. I haven't been wearing them much lately because I got these awesome heeled boots. I've worn them shopping and everything. Guess what? When I put on my flat boots, I felt weird and short. It took me a little bit to get used to being so short. It was surreal.

So I ask you, am I a new person? Or am I just letting my inner diva out again? I'm not sure, but I can't wait to wear my totally awesome glittery shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment