Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What's Your Type?

Last night I was chatting with a friend when somehow the subject of types came up. Not only were we talking about the type of people we like hang out with in general, but our romantic interests. Whether we admit it or not we gravitate towards the same type of people over and over.

We are all attracted to certain physical traits. We may stray from our type from time to time, but it always come back to chemistry. I went a stretch where with one exception I didn't date anyone under 6'4". My cut off for short was actually 6'5", but there was one of my favorites who was under that, so I adjusted for him. I dated so many short guys in high school, I wanted a break. That break lasted a few years, with a few exceptions. I wanted to date only tall men because they made me feel petite.

Another thing I'm attracted to is big calves and muscles. I remember one day, one fantastic day, my mother introduced me to one of her favorite students. I had never met him. All I knew about him was he was smart. I met him on a college visit field trip. We instantly hit it off and ended up talking all day long. It was cold in the morning when we left so we all had on sweatshirts. At the football game later in the day we were all hot so we bought t-shirts to change into. The girls changed in the bathroom then we went up into the stands. This guy changed in the stands. I already liked him, but when he took his shirt off, I about died...ripples of muscles every where. OMG - I was 15 and I was drooling. Heck every girl there was. He had a girlfriend at the time, but it didn't stop us from connecting. The minute he and his girlfriend broke up, he asked me out and I got to drool up close and personal. Jace was short and stocky with muscles, big calves and a brain. My first and most prevalent type.

They have to be smart. I don't have friends, much less boyfriends who aren't smart. This doesn't mean you have to have a degree, but people who make me think and keep me on my toes are who I want to be around. I love watching someone's mind click. It's a total turn on. At least when it comes to romantic interests for lack of a better turn. In its place, I have friends that fill that need, but it's not quite the same. I have a penchant for engineers and computer geeks. I just love those types. Analytical and off-beat. It has been a constant regret that I wasn't attracted to more of my friends. I wish I had been, but alas it hasn't happened. And it's not because they aren't attractive, I'm just attracted to them.

I have another type, but they are for special occasions. My vacation/relaxation boys. Look at my vacation photos and somewhere you will probably see one or more of my beach boys. They are a distinct type, but one I only indulge in on short term basis. The pretty boys.

I like interesting, unique, unusual. Maybe not what society would consider the most handsome, or the sexiest or the most perfect, but to me they are the best. Who wants perfection? God knows I'm not perfect. I'll never be skinny. I have a JLo booty. My thighs are huge. My calves are big (that is why I like big calves on men - lol). I'm generic looking. I had boyfriends and friends mistake other women for me, repeatedly. It's happened to me twice since I've moved to San Antonio. I have doppelgangers everywhere.

My point is, I'm sure I am someone's idea of perfection. Someone's type. Just like I will find my ideal. That is what its all about. I've been looking for a sexy geek all my life. He may not be sexy to everyone else, but as long as he's sexy to me that is what counts. And guess what? I'm a geek too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It means that each person has their own idea of perfection. It trick is to find the one you think is beautiful (or handsome or sexy), and have them feel the same way about you. And I honestly believe when its right, you see the flaws and love then in spite of them. No one is perfect and if you are telling yourself your significant other is perfect, you are fooling yourself.

So I ask you, what is your type?

No comments:

Post a Comment