Friday, December 16, 2011

Musicians Ruined Me For Life

Earlier this week I posted a song on my Facebook page that reminds me of a certain person, and I mentioned my thing for musicians. On that particular song, a "friend" of mine played it on his guitar and sang it for me one night when we were talking on the phone. I have never forgotten. Having someone sing and play for you that intimately is something you remember. This wasn't the beginning of my thing for musicians.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I was a young high school freshman. I gained the admiration or attention of a senior. The senior asked me out, only I had to get my parents permission. I didn't think this would be a big deal, but boy was I wrong. You see he was in a high school garage band (guitar player). My parents wouldn't let me go because he might be a bad influence on me. I remember my mom saying he was nice and she liked him, but between his age and his status as a rock band member, he was off limits. So musician became the forbidden fruit. For the record, this same guy is still a nice guy, and very respectable now. His early days didn't ruin him.

Then came the one mentioned in my opening. I used to love listening to him play with his band, long before we ever became friends. He sang and played. So began my fascination with singers. In fact, I'm not sure those two didn't play together a few times.

Then there was this cop - a detective. He was very much a tough guy. Imagine my surprise when I found out he played guitar. Every once in awhile he would wake me up on weekend mornings by playing this really bluesy rock. He played Hendrix. Sexy guitar stuff. It didn't happen often, but when it did, oh wow, did it make me melt. A singer, he was not, but he did that guitar justice.

I love Prince when he plays guitar - think the Purple Rain soundtrack, which I'm downloading as a type this. Purple Rain is beautiful and haunting. I saw him in concert about 10 years ago and he switched in between various guitars and the piano during the concert. Dang it he can play. Seeing a piano player play and sing is pretty hot too. Drums, also, come to think of it. Although as talented as Phil Collins is, he is not sexy.

Last night at Not So Silent Night they were going on about Jason Derulo being of of People's picks for sexiest men, but alas it was cold so he kept his shirt on.  :( Dancer with a good voice works too. I will admit he was good. Tiao Cruz has a beautiful talking voice, and I could just listen to him talk. However when it comes to straight talking, Brendon Fraser is my winner. Travie McCoy rocks the rap, and Blue October was fantastic. I was more impressed by Cobra Starship in person than I have ever been of them on the radio. Shout out to Tim Halperin too, who is a piano player/singer. He was great last night too. Musicians just rock!!!

So the point of my story, I love talented musicians and singers. I love live music. I gravitate towards these kinds of people. I can't resist it. Even if I'm not attracted, I still love to hear and watch. Or just close my eyes and listen. Music just moves me period. I have ballads on my playlists because they are beautiful to listen too. A velvet voice melts me. Trent Reznor is brilliant also. I love so many for so many reasons.

My mom ruined me for regular non-musical guys forever by making them the forbidden fruit. Thanks mom. And I'm not being sarcastic. THANK YOU!!! They are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment