Sunday, November 6, 2011

Crossing the Line

Of late I have been getting the strangest emails, instant messages and texts from people. Oh, who am I kidding? I've been getting them from men.

It is interesting really. Should I be offended that men I've known for years are coming out of the woodwork to flirt with me again? Is it Facebook, is it the fact that I'm happy again, or is it the fact I'm halfway skinny again? I'm not really sure, but I'm guessing it is somewhere in the middle of all that. I find it hilarious that all of a sudden I'm getting flirted with by men I haven't seen since they were boys. Although not all of them are old acquaintances.

These messages range from the "why are you online at four in the morning" to "damn you look good." Some are just saying hello, others I've been texting back and forth with on a semi regular basis. Strangely I have talked through some of my issues in this manner, and gotten advice or validation as you will. One of my friends keeps telling me to "f*ck it" and have fun. You only live once. That particular friend has made me feel so much better about my recent choices. For the most part, I'm having fun and there is no harm done with any of my chats. I'm enjoying the attention, and God knows its been awhile since I have gotten much attention.

However there is a line between harmless and creepy. These guys I've know forever are friends. I know them. I know the rules, the lines, the limits. If they cross them, I tell them. I've always been a girl who hangs with the guys. I couldn't do that if I got offended easily. One of the guys apologized to me the other night for what he texted me, and I said bullshit, you're not sorry. He replied that he was because he considers me a sweet, kind, and beautiful lady. He didn't want to offend me. I know its true, because I know him. There is nothing wrong with risque, but really you need to know me first.

I have some stranger friends on Facebook. Mostly through apps, but some who I met through mutual friends. A funny comment every once in a while is fine. It's when you keep going. If I don't respond, it usually means I'm offended, or just creeped out. I really don't like random people to ask me to be their girlfriends, or tell me they are waiting for me in the wings.

You don't know me. I'm a complicated person, and frankly flirting sometimes takes a lot of effort. It is effortless with friends. Not something I have to think about. These men know me, and know I am so much more than a flirt. They know I'm intelligent, professional, and pretty buttoned up most of the time. I've been accused of being a librarian or a school marm. I wear glasses, I read contracts all day, I love law, I love to read, I am a total nerd. I am a wallflower. On Halloween, again I might have well been invisible, as I was with my friend. We were walking around, and everywhere we went, men were trying to stop her. I was invisible, something I am used to being. I'm ok with that.

I will come out to play on my terms. I really don't think its funny when you go over the top with inappropriate comments. I'd like to note not only can my father view my facebook, but my niece and nephews. Think about what you say. I can explain old friends. It's not funny to be inappropriate with a complete stranger. If I'm interested, I will let you know. Otherwise -- LAY OFF!!! You are crossing the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment