Sunday, September 25, 2011

End of the line...Or is it?

I feel I must make one last post in honor of the close of Happy Days. We have been working on this since June, and it has been a big part of my new life in San Antonio.

I used theater to help meet new people when I moved to Arkansas in 2004. I didn't plan on it, but ultimately I made some very good friends that way. I miss them very much, but although I love my Village Player friends, this time is a little different. This may sound strange, but I really feel like I've made friends through LPAG. People who I like, enjoy spending time with and might actually spend time with outside of a production.

Part of this might be that most of the people I met are within my age range. It is easy to bond with people when you have common interests. I have a new Zumba buddy and a new lunch buddy. I have people who I can call on to go out if I want. We are already talking about future outings, and I know I that even if I have to go to lunch early, I have someone I can meet. And even better, these are people who I don't work with. How do you spell relief? I love my old co-workers, but there is a certain pressure when you socialize and work with people. You have to maintain a certain decorum. Not one person gave me a hard last night when I fell. And everyone knows me falling down while wearing heels is not a rare experience. I shouldn't have put them back on. And boy are my legs bruised up. At least it was on carpet this time.

Not since I lived in Fort Worth, have I felt protected when I was out and about. I mean, I remember going to clubs, and always having some gentleman in the group watch out for us girls. These gentlemen would make sure we weren't bothered, keep us out of trouble, and generally make sure we were ok. I specifically use the term gentlemen because it takes one to exhibit that kind of behavior. Last night I have plently of protectors. At one point I was waiting for the bathroom, and I was a little too close to a bad influence, and a friend started yelling at me from across the room demanding I come back over to him to stand. When that person left, he passed on the duties to someone else. I even had someone who offered to drive me home last night, and checked on me this morning to make sure I was ok. How cool is that?

There was a point during the show where I wasn't sure I would go back to LPAG. Now I know I probably will. I like the environment. I enjoy the new people I met, and I feel like I can be myself. Thank goodness I have had the opportunity to make some new friends. Now I have options and opportunity. As a very wise one we sometimes refer to as the baby bird said, you have to widen your circles. I have a who new circle with new friends and that is a good thing.

I leave you with something I said earlier to a friend...I really like San Antonio, and I really think San Antonio likes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment