Monday, October 3, 2011

Faces of Eve

How many people out there have different faces they show to different people in different situations? If you say you don't, you are probably lying. I know I do.

Part of my evolution into the adult you see and hear today was developing a persona for most situations. Even as far back as college, I joined a sorority to learn how to better relate to other females. I was too used to hanging with a bunch of guys. If you don't believe me, check out my facebook. Most of my boys from back in the day are my friends on there, and still interact with me pretty regularly.

I have a work persona. I have a theater persona. I have a friend persona. I have a good friend persona. And then there is me. My good friends get closest to see the real me. I'm moody and blunt, and sometimes rude. It took me years to filter myself. To stop throwing temper tantrums when I didn't get my way. I rarely even lose my temper now, and when I do, it usually has to do with work. I doubt many of my theater friends are aware of how seriously I take my work. Some of the AF people might, but only because they know my pay grade. They have never seen me in my zone of professionalism. Kicking butt and taking names.

To my new theater friends, I'm talkative, at times say a little too much. I'm energetic and loud. I'm outgoing. It has taken me years to get that way. I'm usually shy and quiet around new groups. It took me a year to let loose on the Village Players, and I still don't think I really did. I can be very loud and I know I'm obnoxious at times. Part of it with this group is as one of the oldest ones in the cast, I felt old, but didn't want to be perceived as old. 

Maybe its the exercise, and that is not an act. I am trying to be healthy. Maybe it is giving me energy. But enough about me.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde...I keep hearing that lately. How many people act one way to one person or group and a completely different way to another? How do you know what is the real thing?

Faces of Eve. One face here, another there. The things I hear and see do not surprise me. In fact, I am aware of some of the diverging personality traits out there. I used to think I was pretty worldly, but of late I have had my eyes opened. I may be more "me" in play, than I am in work, but basically it's the same personality only one way is more intense. I'm honest and straight forward in either situation. I may be more blunt to some people than others, but basically I'm me, no matter what.

I've been getting some conflicting information. I'm going to have to go with my gut on this. I'm not disbelieving of what I'm hearing I just wonder how much is misperception. Or maybe I'm in la la land. Sometimes I don't know. I may never know. I think maybe everyone shows a different face to different people in their life. We all just have to decide whether, when faced with those different faces, do we acquiesce, or distrust and question.

I, for one, am going to take things at face value for a change. I going to try to not overanalyze and question. I'm going to let things be.

You see - you can teach an old dog new tricks! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment