Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Typecast Again

I afraid my new play doesn't leave me much room for showing the range of my acting ability. It does, however, give me the opportunity to be funny. Finally. I can be funny, I promise.

I am playing two characters. Unfortunately, the two characters have one thing in common - they both want to get laid. Both characters go after it in different ways, for different reasons, but they are just really after self gratification.

It struck me, as I was listening to the other plays tonight, that I really have something in common with my characters. Not the getting laid part, but other characteristics. I will not get into specifics, but I'll just say there are some parallels to my own life in these two characters. I mean, what women doesn't want to feel desirable? Want to be appreciated? Want to be wanted? We all do, and if we don't, we are lying.

What I find so funny about my roles is they are so out there. I say things in these scenes, I would rarely say out loud, even among friends. I might think them, but I don't say them. I wish I could be as bold in my personal life as these characters are in theirs. And the fact that yesterday, someone told me I needed to loosen up, is just icing on the cake. I didn't get far enough in my conversations with this person to tell them I was spending my next play partially in bed with a married man pretending to be naked. I definitely need to loosen up.

This is a departure from my norm, and I can't tell you how excited I am to finally be allowed to be funny. For some reason, people do not perceive me as funny. My friends know I can be freaking hilarious sometimes. Just not everybody appreciates my kind of humor. Just like I didn't appreciate the off-color jokes I heard this weekend.

Let's just say I'll try to loosen more, because my uptight attitude is such a drag. Of course, I don't think my friends could take it if I loosen up any more. I'm already shocking the hell out of those who know me best.

No comments:

Post a Comment